fotoincucina / Pixabay
Possibly the most fun, creative way to incorporate CBD oil into your lifestyle is by using it as an ingredient in delicious recipes. A naturally occurring compound found in the leaves and flowers of the cannabis plant, CBD is a chemical which will not get you high, but instead offers a range of benefits. Whilst it is easy to splash a couple of CBD oil drops under your tongue, cooking with CBD and adding it to recipes that you already cook regularly is fun and easier than you may think.
Before you start cooking with CBD, there are some things to consider:
1. Cook with fat
Stock up on oil-based ingredients such as butter or coconut oil before you start cooking. This is because cannabinoids bind with fat really well and will easily fuse to them, which in-turn means you will benefit from CBD’s full potential. In some recipes, using vodka, rum and whiskey can also work well as a replacement of the fat component.
2. Savoury is best
When you think of cannabis related foods, brownies and cakes probably spring to mind. This is totally understandable as the substance used in these are often lower quality and used to achieve the high associated with cannabis, so a super-sweet treat is perfect to cover up any bitterness. However, high-quality CBD will work perfectly in a savoury dish too (think in a pasta sauce, for example) and you won’t even know it’s there.
3. Keep the heat down
Something key to remember when cooking with CBD oil is that too much heat can cause it to evaporate and lose potency. A little heat can, however, can increase CBD’s effectiveness – as you can see it is a fickle chemical. To reduce the risk of compromising CBD’s properties, try adding CBD oil to a salad dressing or drizzle some straight out of the bottle on top of a pizza. Otherwise, when cooking with heat, keep the temperature under 320 degrees Fahrenheit, as this is the heat at which CBD starts to evaporate.
4. Less is more
Although CBD oil won’t get you high, it is still important to limit your intake – especially when first starting out. Everyone responds differently to its effects, so start with small amounts and increase it each time you consume it, depending on how you feel.
Keeping everything you have learnt about cooking with CBD oil in mind, take a look at the following recipes which are an easy way to start adding CBD to your daily meals.
Whether it’s Mexican night or just a Tuesday night, you never need an excuse to make guacamole. As a dip or in a burrito, enhance your guac with a little CBD.
30 drops CBD oil
Pinch of salt
Pinch of pepper
Half an onion (diced)
1) Take a bowl and mash up all three avocados until smooth.
2) Squeeze the lime juice into the bowl, add the salt and CBD oil.
3) Mix in the onion and add additional seasoning and lime depending on your taste.
Chocolate chip cookies
A classic biscuit, loved by all, the chocolate chip cookie can be made even better by adding a drop or two of CBD oil.
50 drops CBD oil
1 teaspoon baking powder
130g white sugar
130g brown sugar
Pinch of salt
260g chocolate chips
130g softened butter
Two teaspoons hot water
Two teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and prepare a baking tray with baking sheets.
2. Add the white sugar, brown sugar, butter and CBD oil to a large bowl and mix until they form a smooth, creamy consistency.
3. Beat both eggs into the mixture and stir in the vanilla extract.
4. Add the flour to your cookie batter bit-by-bit and sprinkle in the salt.
5. Put the hot water in a cup and stir the baking power in until it dissolves. Add this to the cookie batter too.
6. Add the chocolate chips by folding them into the mixture.
7. Spoon dollops of the batter onto the baking sheet, making sure to leave a two inch gap between each so that the cookies can spread as they cook.
8. The cookies will be ready after ten minutes or once they are golden brown.
Chamomile Tea latte
CBD can be used to make delicious drinks too, including this calming chamomile tea latte. It’s warming and comforting – the perfect drink for cold, wet days.
20 drops of CBD oil
1 chamomile teabags
480ml almond milk (or whichever milk you like to drink)
2 tablespoons maple syrup
A pinch of ground ginger
A pinch of ground nutmeg
1. Take a saucepan and heat the milk until hot, but not boiling.
2. Whilst the milk is heating, boil a kettle, add the teabag to a mug and pour water on top until the mug is 1/3 full.
3. Whisk the maple syrup, CBD oil, ginger and nutmeg into the hot milk.
4. Remove the teabag, pour the hot milk into the mug until it is full and stir.
Everybody loves pesto, right? It is delicious with pasta (another crowd favourite) or smothered over chicken and baked…are you salivating yet? Add CBD to your pesto, put it in a jar and keep it in your fridge and you’ll have a delicious way to spice up any meal.
30 drops CBD oil
2 garlic cloves
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon of pine nuts
50g fresh parsley
50g cherry tomatoes
A pinch of salt
A pinch of pepper
1. Rinse the parsley and cherry tomatoes under cold water.
2. Add all ingredients to a food processor and blend until the mixture becomes smooth.
3. Add small amounts of water if the mixture is initially too thick and continue to blend until the desired consistency is achieved.
We’ve got breakfast covered too! Why not enhance your most important meal of the day?
30 drops of CBD oil (depending on how much you like to use)
125ml milk of your choice (we recommend oat milk)
Toppings of your choice (blueberries, banana, peanut butter and maple syrup are great)
1. Add your oats to a bowl and cover them with the milk. You may want to experiment with how much milk you add depending on how thick you like your porridge.
2. Add your ‘toppings’ including the CBD oil and mix in.
3. Cover your oats with a lid or cling film and place in the fridge overnight. You can always add extra toppings the next morning before you enjoy your breakfast.
We couldn’t not provide you with a brownie recipes. Whilst these aren’t the variety famous for getting you high, these are delicious and a perfect way to balance your CBD intake with your sweet tooth.
30 drops of CBD oil
125ml vegetable oil
2 large eggs
¼ teaspoon baking powder
75g cocoa powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and grease a 9×9 baking tin.
2. Mix the CBD oil with the vegetable oil in a bowl.
3. Add the sugar to the oil mixture until well blended.
4. Whisk in the eggs and vanilla extract, ensuring that the mixture is smooth
5. In a separate bowl, add all of the remaining dry ingredients and mix together. Then add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until you get a smooth brownie batter.
6. Pour the mixture into the baking tin and place in the oven for 20 minutes.
7. Leave to cool before cutting and serving.